I'm not an expert, but I think it largely depends on your definition of the
"routing database". If you store the elevation data in the original
grid-based form and you request elevation data on-demand for lat/lon coords
without long-term storing of lat/lon + elevation pairs, then I don't really
see the two data sources "infecting" one another in legal terms.

Except, of course, if you intend to offer the routing as some kind of
high-availability web service which would allow somebody to reconstruct the
original elevation data using web scraping.

Of course, all of this also depends on you getting the approval/agreement
from the CGIAR data owner to use the elevation data for commercial purposes.

Best regards,
Igor Brejc