To answer all your questions in one go: there has been a lot of discussion
(especially on this mailing list) about the problems/issues you raised. And
there have been some efforts to better clarify these things. I suggest
reading the mailing list archive.

My own opinion is that the legal issues here are murky and I agree they
could be interpreted differently by different lawyers/people. And I guess
it is very difficult to write a good license text for such type of license,
since there are a lot of different ways the data could be used, lot of
corner cases and a lot of ways the licence could be circumvented by
interested parties if written too specifically. I guess the protecting
power of ODbL is in its murkiness :)

I would not give myself too much hope with interpretations of "trivial" and
"substantial", in my opinion your use case falls well outside of a trivial
and unsubstantial use.