Hello Alex,

Alex Barth writes:

I just updated the Wiki with a proposed community guideline on geocoding.
Please review:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Data_License/Geocoding_-_Guideline

Thank you for working on these legal guidelines. A task the typical developer is not keen to work on.

A while ago there was a discussion about the word "geocode" which seems to be a trademark in some jurisdictions. So opposed to the general term "geocoding" the word "geocode" might need to be used with care.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Geocode_Trademark
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geocoding

The document itself describes nicely what use creates a produces work and what a derived database.

Is it correct that from a legal point of view the ODbL already protects people from circumventing the share-alike by recreating the database from multiple produced works? I think it did. Still it might be worth mentioning in the guidelines that a large scale geocoding with the purpose to recreate a substantial part of the original database is no longer a produced work but a derived database and triggers ODbL share-alike.

Stephan