> Am 11/lug/2014 um 16:41 schrieb Michal Palenik <michal.pale...@freemap.sk>:
>
> so wording "As Geocodes are a Produced Work, they do not trigger the
> share-alike clauses of the ODbL. " is totally against section 4.6.

+1
the data contained in produced works remains ruled by ODbL / share alike, this
is stated in 4.3:

4.3 Notice for using output (Contents). Creating and Using a Produced Work does
not require the notice in Section 4.2. However, if you Publicly Use a Produced
Work, You must include a notice associated with the Produced Work reasonably
calculated to make any Person that uses, views, accesses, interacts with, or is
otherwise exposed to the Produced Work aware that Content was obtained from the
Database, Derivative Database, or the Database as part of a Collective
Database, and that it is available under this License.

I agree it's hard to believe that geocoding would be considered creating a
produced work and not a derivative database (maybe we have a different idea
what one is doing when "geocoding").

the definition for produced work is
“Produced Work” – a work (such as an image, audiovisual material, text, or
sounds) resulting from using the whole or a Substantial part of the Contents
(via a search or other query) from this Database - See more at:
http://opendatacommons.org/licenses/odbl/1.0/#sthash.l1YXFGoW.dpuf

some use of geocoding might lead to producing a "work" like an "image,
audiovisual material, text, or sounds" but the data  behind it remains ODbL and
if you reuse those locations obtained by geocoding you'd have to do it under
ODbL IMHO.

Generally what I think about when reading "geocoding": you'd take a list of
addresses and use the database to localize (translate) them in geo coordinates.
This seems to fit perfectly to the derivative db description:

“Derivative Database” – Means a database based upon the Database, and includes
any translation, adaptation, arrangement, modification, or any other alteration
of the Database or of a Substantial part of the Contents. This includes, but is
not limited to, Extracting or Re-utilising the whole or a Substantial part of
the Contents in a new Database. - See more at:
http://opendatacommons.org/licenses/odbl/1.0/#sthash.l1YXFGoW.dpuf

cheers,
Martin