Hello,

 Our lawyers' advice is captured in the guideline as shared and posted in
> this revision:
>

> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Open_Data_License/Geocoding_-_Guideline&oldid=1060775
>
> Just to clarify, the above is what your lawyers sent you, except for
> formatting changes to place it into a Wiki format?
>
> 'Geocoding as it pertains to this guideline is a process by which external
data is used to construct a query by which an OpenStreetMap database is
searched. The result of the Geocoding query is one or more "Geocodes".
Geocodes are then stored either permanently or temporarily together with
the external data used for querying. Geocodes can be latitude/longitude
pairs, full or partial addresses and or point of interest names. Geocodes
are a Produced Work by the definition of the ODbL'
That means that every other mapping project in the world gets that any way
he wants, right?:) In example, if I someone wants to add to a project ABC
all McDonald's localizations from all over the world, he just queries OSM
(query: "McDonald"), places the result (lat/lon+full addresses) in his
database, and adds an attribution "I used some OSM data" (a cron job would
do well).
Same with addressing in country X, Y or Z (and the attribution is already
there!:).
Sounds good. You just need to have some vector data with roads, the rest
goes from OSM as a Produced Work.
Regards,

Tadeusz