On Jul 11, 2014, at 04:11 PM, Alex Barth <a...@mapbox.com> wrote:

What I'm looking for a is a clear interpretation by the community,
supported OSMF, an interpretation that is a permissive reading of the
ODbL on geocoding to unlock use cases.
Guidelines need to be accurate and supported by the ODbL and shouldn't be
advanced to support a particular viewpoint and the process is not a way to
weaken share-alike.

I'm working my way through the examples.

Consider a chain retailer's database of store locations with store
names and addresses (street, house number, ZIP, state/province, country).
The addresses are used to search corresponding latitude / longitude
coordinates in OpenStreetMap. The coordinates are stored next to the
store locations in the store database (forward Geocoding).
OpenStreetMap.org's Nominatim based geocoder is used. The store locations
are being exposed to the public on a store locator map using Bing maps.
The geocoded store locations database remains fully proprietary to the
chain retailer. The map carries a notice "(c) OpenStreetMap contributors"
linking to http://www.openstreetmap.org/copyright.

In this example, the database powering the geocoder is a derived database. The
geocoding results are produced works, which are then collected into what forms
a derivative database as part of a collective database. This derivative
database is then used to create a produced work (the locator map).

4.4.c provides that this database of geocoding results is publicly used and is
licensed under the ODbL. 4.6 requires offering the recipients of the produced
work the derivative database itself or alterations file. In the specific case
of this example, the alterations is trivial - you just say you were using
unaltered OpenStreetMap data processed with Nominatim.