I thought I'd throw in my $0.02 into the discussion as well.

First of all, I think it is good that we are having this discussion and I
hope that eventually we can come to a OSMF sanction conclusion (set of
community guidelines) one way or another.

Overall, I think the route via produced works is the correct way to go here.

For reverse geocoding I think declaring things as produced work is pretty
well justified.

The process is to take a geographic coordinate as input. This input is then
turned, with the help of a bunch of complex algorithms(e.g. nominatum), into
a (textual) rendering of an extract of the openstreetmap data. This textual
rendering is then stored and eventually displayed to a human observer.

This is nearly exactly equivalent to the process of rendering map tiles.
I.e. you take four geographic coordinates (bounding box) as input. This
input is then turned, with the help of a bunch of complex algorithms (e.g.
mapnik), into a (bitmap) rendering of an extract of the openstreetmap data.
This bitmap rendering is then stored and eventually displayed to a human
observer.

Given that map tiles are universally considered as produced works, so should
imho be the result of reverse geocoding. As such, this should then also not
trigger share-a-like.

Just like one could take a proprietary database, use the stored lat/lon
values in that database and render a 256x256 pixel image of the map for each
entry of the database and store it back into the proprietary database
without "infecting" the database with the ODbL share-a-like, one should be
able to do the same with reverse geocoding.

Imho anything that is intended for (more or less) direct consumption by
humans is a produced work.

For forward geocoding, the picture gets a bit more murky though, as the
distinction between what is for human consumption and what is data, and thus
a derived database, is much less clear cut.

If you geocode an address and then all you do with the the resulting lat/lon
is to display it in some form, then that is imho clearly also a produced
work and thus shields things from the ODbL share-a-like requirement.

However, once you start manipulating and computing with those lat/lon
values. E.g. to calculate the average distance between all of the POIs in
your proprietary db, the definition of produced work probably starts
breaking down, because the output of the geocoding process is no longer the
end product.

Where exactly that line is though between produced work and derived
database, I am not sure is obvious, and thus the intention of making the
license clearer would unfortunately not really be achieved.

Generally, I would consider my self as a proponent of share-a-like, but at
least to me personally, I would consider all of the use cases presented in
the proposed community guidelines as acceptable and within the spirit of
share-a-like requirement for the OSM database. But it probably needs a bit
more explanation of what you can and cannot do with the derived lat/lon
values of the geocoding process.

Kai