Am 23.09.2015 um 15:32 schrieb Tom Lee:

>     why wouldn't you want to provide OSM with a list of addresses that
>     you tried to geo-code (successfully and non-successfully)
>

> To use an extreme but hopefully illustrative example, consider the
> queries used to create the thematic map on this page:

Naturally you fail to mention that

a) whatever service provider did the geo-coding of the above data
undoubtedly used the data for the same purposes as OSM would (and likely
a lot more)

and

b)  in my proposal I specifically address the issue of providing the
geo-coded addresses anonymously

Simon

PS: just to avoid confusion we are talking about addresses without any
attached personal information (names etc), so the data protection issue
is sole the linkage between who is doing the geo-coding and the address.