I'm not sure what basis there is for thinking a service provider will
necessarily reuse clients' data. Maybe! That's not my experience, but I can
imagine how it might be useful. I hope you'll agree that data security and
stewardship is a trickier thing to implement within an open project made up
of volunteers than it is in an organization with contract employees.

To point b: if the addresses remain associated with the entity doing the
geocoding, as I think you're proposing, problematic linkages remain
possible. Consider how Brendan Eich's career ended at Mozilla. That case
involved campaign finance records, but a political organization's geocoded
membership database could easily achieve the same result, even with just
addresses.

Anyway even if the organization->address linkage were to be removed,
organizations who comply with EU Safe Harbour privacy requirements (and, I
assume, the EU privacy provisions from which they're derived) could not
share users' address data with a third party in this manner*.

Put bluntly: expecting data back from geocoding users is not workable and
never has been. Maintaining the hope that someday it will produce useful
contributions merely leads to some noncompliance and lots and lots of
deadweight loss. It's a shame, and is inhibiting useful work being
accomplished both outside of OSM and within it.

Tom

* Partner and vendors can receive data from complying organizations, but
the relationship must be disclosed and users must be given the right to
delete data about them. Partner organizations also have to complete
certification procedures (including things like HR training), and may not
pass the data on further, as OSM presumably would want to under sharealike.