On Wednesday 10 April 2019, althio wrote:

> You may have skipped parts of my message, so excuse me if I repeat a
> few lines. You quoted only two sentences and I slightly wonder if you
> genuinely read the whole.

I am sorry if i left the impression that i was specifically criticizing
your ideas - i was more referring to the general course of the
discussion towards a rather mechanical exegesis of the ODbL based on a
simplistic view of how algorithms work as a mechanical process
converting well defined input data into well defined output data.

> [...]
> I don't think my original message can be read as "sweepingly declare
> any output of algorithms as having no copyright connection".

I did not mean to imply that - but since your line of reasoning only
covers this case it is to be expected that people assume this is the
only relevant case.

> [...]
>
> My final two cents:
> Take the Geocoding guideline, replace "Geocoding" by "Machine
> Learning" and this is, in my humble opinion, an acceptable first
> draft for discussion.

But as far as i understand you, you up-front want to declare
the "database" behind the Machine Learning, i.e. the adaptive part of
the algorithms that gets modified through training, to be a produced
work and therefore not subject to share-alike.

If not i don't see the practical usefulness in applying the geocoding
guideline to this in analogy because while for geocoding the individual
result is a frequent practical use case Machine Learning and similar
algorithms are mostly used to produce bulk results which are usually
substantial in terms of database law.

As far as the Horizontal Layers guideline and the concept of produced
works in general is concerned - the only consistent view of these
concepts is IMO to consider them to be limited exclusively to cases
when you are talking about things produced for and used only for direct
human consumption.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/