On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 16:17:14 -0800 (PST)
"Edward K. Ream" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> My experience shows why Linux is not exactly taking the world by
> storm.

Heh, I think the reasons may be a little more various and complicated
than that.  You downloaded generic source code, compiled it, and as
root ran make install - and version 2.5.2 of a package got tangled with
2.5.1 of the same package.

Downloading, unarchiving, compiling, and then installing software is
not something a newbie is likely to do by accident :-)

Contrast a relative of mine, computer illiterate, who, using Vista,
associated .zip files with Picasa.  A mistake like that only takes a
click or two.  How do you undo it?  It was obvious how you could change
the association to something else, but not how you'd reset the .zip
file opening behavior.  I suggested he try opening them with IE, that
caused an IE window to appear and disappear about 3 times a second, too
fast to close or to catch in the Task Manager.  The transparency was
cool though - and it's Windows, so needing to reboot is expected :-).
How do you fix the .zip association? Well, you just run regedit...

When was the last time you saw an ad. for Linux?  And what's the point
of Linux, anyway?  To be a better Windows?  Why bother?  OpenOffice is
great, but I think the whole approach is flawed.

The mainstream sells computers by telling you anything you want to do is
simple, and all you need to do is point and click.  This approach
limits you to only doing simple things... sure you can code and create
all sorts of wonderful things in Windows, but not because of anything
Windows is offering, but instead by adding components which acknowledge
the need for more complex interactions on your part.

Who, apart from two year olds, limits their communication to pointing?

You don't think I can drift any further off topic, but just watch me...

What bugs me is that it would only take a little bit of learning for
most people to get much more out of computers.  I'm not talking about
people on this list, but the general public.  Think how much better
people you know would do if they just understood the basic concept of a
'file', and how they're stored on disks and can be moved around with
generic tools.

But the mainstream tries to shield people from even this small mental
effort, so various packages come up with a dozen different obtuse ways
to organize people's stuff for them, costing them the opportunity to
become more productive and more able to synthesize.  My relative's major
hurdle was working out how to move images between Picasa and 'My
Pictures' - I couldn't explain the separation didn't exist - remember
the expectation is that nothing is even slightly more complex than a
couple of mouse clicks.  I'm not knocking Picasa, I think it's cool.

I don't think you should need to know all the intricacies of a major
programming language to interact with computers, but I think there
should be some level above mouse waving that allows people to get
more done more quickly.  Computers are supposed to deal with repetition
for you, not present you with "repeat this action again and again to
earn your cheese" type experiences.  Even the simplest 'for each item
in this set do this' is out of most people's reach, unless the
exact thing they want to do is done by a particular application.

Computers, or more specifically operating systems, could have evolved
differently, not to Linux, but to some middle ground, where vendors
aren't afraid to admit that doing complex things of your own devising
requires some effort on your part.  If you make that admission then it
would be ok to provide generic, reusable tools for doing these things,
but the admission isn't made, and the tools aren't provided.

Hmm, perhaps I start to see why people have blogs - they give you
somewhere to put this kind of stuff without other people having to read
it :-)