On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 7:04 PM, Edward K. Ream <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  Now, after stepping through the code a few times, I have a much better
>  feel for what the code is intending to do.  I can return to the
>  sources to look for clues.  My first guess is that the atrociously-
>  documented options are the place to start looking for relief.  Rather
>  than read the worse-than-useless docs, I plan to read the actual code.

I don't think you should spend so much time with distutils - it kind
of expects that it's used "as it's supposed to", and fooling around
too much can cause problems later on (e.g. in different platforms).

I think that setuptools is a much better bet:

http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/setuptools

Also, if you want to debug it, there's a much better chance of getting
your code/feature requests in.

> Duh!  leo.__init__.py is not sufficient to start Leo!

You have to do:

import leo.src.leo

leo.src.leo.start()

(or something, can't check right now).

And indeed, you don't even have to copy the files to site-packages;
you can try creating a "launchleo.py" script in leo root folder, and
see what you have to do there to get going. Kind of like the
ipython.py in the IPython source distribution root directory.
setuptools also supports "python setup.py develop", which acts like
the package is in site-packages, even if it isn't.