might it be feasible for myLeoSettings.leo to say:

@include
  \
   /path/to/settingsfile

and the subtrees of @settings nodes in <settingsfile>
would be slurped in?

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 4:14 PM, Edward K. Ream <edream...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 10, 3:39 pm, "Edward K. Ream" <edream...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> ===== New summary =====
>>
>> The big change in my thinking as the result of our conversation is
>> that Leo probably can search *anew* for myLeoSettings.leo (and
>> leoSettings.leo) every time Leo loads a .leo file.  This will allow
>> Leo to find, in *all* cases, myLeoSettings.leo (and leoSettings.leo)
>> in the directory containing the loaded .leo file.
>
> On third thought, I am not wild about this.  It's a close call, and it
> does seem like a plausible thing to do, but I suspect it will cause a
> fair amount of pain and very little gain.
>
> Indeed, the simplest thing that could possibly work is the notion of a
> *single* leoSettings.leo file and a *single* myLeoSettings.leo file to
> be applied to all loaded .leo files in a particular session.  This is
> the way Leo has always worked.  It's also the way lots of editors
> work.

I think this would be adequate if myLeoSettings.leo came from
the local directory.

> Suppose, for the sake of argument, that we allow multiple
> leoSettings.leo and myLeoSettings.leo files in a single session.  How
> useful would it be?  It's going to cause a ripple of complications.
> For example, the show-settings command would now have to report
> *which* settings files are being used, and worse, the user must pay
> attention!  I don't think this is progress.

Right. I should never have to (or be expected to) change the default
leoSettings.leo, it creates version conflicts for one thing.

A single myLeoSettings.leo provides my preferences, probably
should be in $HOME or $HOME/.leo

The remaining piece is a file which provides domain-specific
customization of this editing session. It could come from a
file in the current directory or command line.

(I like that: @settings provided are: defaults, preferences, customizations)