On Apr 2, 9:21 am, tfer <tfethers...@aol.com> wrote:

> Forgive my imperfect understanding of this, but I think that the old
> Leo-Ipython stuff worked by having the same python interpreter
> instance running both leo and ipython shifting things of interest back
> and forth through namespaces that either could look at.

Actually, I'm not sure how it worked.  It really was (and is) magic to
me.

I do know that the basics still does work in degraded (no zmq) mode.
My plan is to get *all* the features working in no-zmq mode.

> While this still may be possible with the new Ipython, (and this may
> be what you are working on?), the new model for this is to have two
> interpreters running, one running Leo and one running Ipython and
> handle the communications between the two through the zmq interchange
> library, (via the python bindings provided by pyzmq).  It is this sort
> of thing that the Ipython notebook video  was demonstrating.

Yes.  zmq is exciting.  Alas, I have not been able to build it either
on Windows or Ubuntu.

> I've felt that this zmq could be the thing that, if added to Leo and
> utilized by a python program running inside of Vim, could make Vim
> replace the editor component of Leo using IPC to send the opened
> node(s) to vim instead of using temporary files.

I hadn't thought of that.  Clearly, something like zmq could solve a
lot of problems.

> Setting up zmq on a windows PC is so involved, that I have not  done
> anything with Ipython lately, however, the  people at enthought have a
> windows distribution package that includes it, plus a number of
> scientific, mathematical, simulation goods that will work out of the
> box.  It runs Leo fine.

Time to check into enthought.  Thanks for this tip.  I'd love to give
IPython notebooks try.  And all the other goodies too.