A VM is heavy, and overkill as long as the alternative
can provide the same degree of 'just works', which I
think is the goal.

The VM also offers the benefit of a richer introduction:
any number of sample files, videos etc. all as links on the
desktop.

Right, it wouldn't offer access to host machine files, only preloaded
for tutorial purposes. That arguably could be sufficient to make the sale.
The trick would be to make the preload really compelling.