> Or we can make gutter to have fixed with (for example: three digits in
> normal font), and when we need more digits to paint them with smaller font
> or x-scaled to fit within fixed gutter width.

Oh, I have just realized that you already did this. The only thing is that
on my machine it doesn't show whole four digits. It reserves less space
than is necessary. I see there is setting gutter-w-adjust and I try to tune
it.

Also I think that in order to have line numbers right aligned with the
simple string padding font family must be mono-spaced.

Vitalije