On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 10:57 AM, Terry Brown <terrynbr...@gmail.com> wrote:

​> ​
I can buy a new computer, connect it to the
​ ​
internet, and go to:

> https://kaleguy.github.io/leovue/#/t/1
>
> and I'm using Leo on the web... except it's read only.

​No, you are just accessing a web page.
​

> I think any
> ​ ​
> read / write browser interface for Leo must provide the same zero
> install access.  Jupyter notebooks can be accessed this way too.

​Yes, some notebooks can be accessed via web pages.​

​But they are probably read only.​

Which reminds me.  I wonder whether we could use the jupyter kernel
architecture to do the inter-process communication.

So sure, for development and for general use if the browser interface
> replaces the Qt interface you'd do something like:
>
> python launchLeo.py --gui=html
> firefox http://127.0.0.1:8730/
>
> and it would all be local / desktop
> ​.

​Yes, that's the idea.​

​
> Key point is that http://127.0.0.1:8730/ could be
> http://my.server.com/leo/ or maybe http://leohost.com/tbrown/ ;-)
> without any additional work (hosting setup aside).  And while I would
> think Electron apps. could work that way, I don't see it in an
> extremely superficial skimming of the interwebs.

​Hmm.  That's a worthy goal, but it seems to be a *separate *worthy goal.​

Seems to me that Electron is focused on making local desktop apps.
> using a javascript / browser stack, which isn't part of the challenge
> of "browser Leo", in my opinion.

​Ok.  It's good to distinguish "browser Leo" and "desktop Leo with
browser-based rendering.
​

> If the goal is being able to use cool web/html visualizations in Leo
> on the desktop, they can just be embedded in QWebEngineView, problem
> solved.

​I don't think so.  Qt rendering ​
​is feeble and slow.​

To me the goal is Leo being anywhere there's a web browser :)

​We may be able to get this as part of the package.  However, it probably
carries significant security risks.  See this discussion about electron
security <https://electronjs.org/docs/tutorial/security>.