​On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 6:30 PM, Terry Brown <terrynbr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I really don't understand the disconnect here. I want to log a warning to
the log pane.
​​
At present, Leo has the following definitions in leoGlobals​:

def error(*args, **keys):
   g.es_print(color=g.actualColor('red'), *args, **keys)

def note(*args, **keys):
   g.es_print(color=g.actualColor('black'), *args, **keys)

def warning(*args, **keys):
   g.es_print(color=g.actualColor('blue'), *args, **keys)

They can be changed to:

def error(*args, **keys):
   g.es_print(color=g.actualColor('error'), *args, **keys)

def note(*args, **keys):
   g.es_print(color=g.actualColor('note'), *args, **keys)

def warning(*args, **keys):
   g.es_print(color=g.actualColor('warning'), *args, **keys)

And this is probably *all *that needs to happen.

So please calm down and read the following carefully.

> Ideally, it would be
>  g.log("Warning, keep away from children", type="warning")
> or
>  g.warning("Warning, keep away from children")
> (I prefer the former)

g.log is a completely separate function.​ It should not be changed.

> Instead, for historical reasons, we have
> g.es <http://g.es/>("Warning, keep away from children", color="warning")

There is no such code in Leo's core. There is color="red" or color="blue".

In Leo's core all calls to g.es are exactly as they were before. Now,
however, you could write color="warning" or color="error".

> at least until recently, but now apparently we're supposed to use
> g.es <http://g.es/>("Warning, keep away from children", color="blue")

You have the situation completely backwards. color="blue" is the *legacy*.
You are no longer "supposed to" use it. You can use anything you like.

> So we (a) need to know that 'blue' is the arbitrary color code for
warnings, and (b) that this will print a message in the log in a theme
defined color that may not be any kind of blue.

This was what you were "supposed to know" previously. Nothing in Leo's core
has changed.​

> So we're going backwards.

No. You have it backwards.​

*Summary*

Changing calls to g.es in Leo's core is conceivable, but not necessary.

Changing the definitions of g.error, g.note and g.warning as described
above would probably suffice, provided that themes define @color
log_error/node/warning_color settings.

The new scheme increases our choices while allowing all legacy code to work
as before.