One other condition that causes the traceback.

Touching the any key while the insertion point is in the find
dialogue, whether it has been filled via the behaviour described above
or if it contain only the "find pattern here" string that you get when
the body has no text.

So basically the only time it doesn't crash with the core dump is when
you have text already selected before hitting ctrl-f.

Chris