On Thursday, August 9, 2018 at 11:22:39 AM UTC+1, john lunzer wrote:

> This was an amazing "conclusion" to these events. I too want to take the
> opportunity to apologize to Edward for accusations, implied or explicit. I
> learned from this series of interactions and it appears Vitalije has as
> well. Edward, it is my hope that you can take something good away from
> this, ideally: inspiration, confidence, and a new skill set for dealing
> with an "uprising". Edward, you will always be the father of Leo. While in
> an open source community that doesn't mean you deserve the final word, as I
> believe that type of policy can ultimately harm a community, it does mean
> you deserve the highest level of respect for being the unwavering core of
> this community.
>
> In my own defense, I do not think my own comments were motivated by any
> lack of confidence in Edward, but in a deep desire that Leo evolve.
> Vitalije's proposal appeared to offer a tantalizingly expedient path toward
> that evolution. However, it is embarrassingly clear now that deep desire
> should not allow "progress" to become the bottom line. A lesson I will take
> with me through life.
>
> Equally as important, to Vitalije, I hope you feel no embarrassment or
> shame behind your proposal. Whether you consider it to be failed or not it
> appears your motivations were similar to mine. I've never sensed ill-will
> present in any of your interactions. You are clearly an extremely skilled
> individual and have every reason to be confident in your proposals. I
> encourage you to never shy away from making audacious proposals. I am
> excited to see your future work and hope you share with us.
>
> Thank you to everyone who has put in time and energy into improving Leo.

What a hearteningly grown-up place this part of the internet is! I too
would like to thank both Vitalije and Edward for the tone of their
'sparring' in recent weeks. I have been struck myself by what Vitalije
describes as the extreme difference in the way he and Edward view code. It
is fascinating. And what, in many places, would have ended up in a
mud-slinging match, instead results in learning and progress for all.

This is one of the reasons I hang out here.

    Thanks again
    Jon N