On Sunday, March 1, 2020 at 10:54:59 PM UTC-5, andyjim wrote:

> I've begun to use it.
> And already I see that I could use a command to slap a UID into an already
> existing zettel that doesn't yet have one. I can do it (and have done it)
> by making a new zettel and copy-pasting the body of the old one to the new
> one, then delete the old, but that's a bit cumbersome.
> Oh boy, this gets complicated quickly. I'll also need to be able to select
> a section of a file and create a zettel out of it. It can go in a
> to-be-dealt-with node.  Maybe these are actually parser functions.

The way my system works is that each zettel is represented by a Leo node,
and its identifier is Leo's own identifier for that node.  It's know as its
gnx.  Leo needs to know that in order to move to that node.  If you are
thinking about inserting your own identifiers into a body of text that you
wrote before putting sections of it into Leo nodes, well, you can't know
what they would be before a node is created.

Creating your own unique identifiers can be hard.  Some of the issues:
making them truly unique, cut-and-paste errors, typos.  They can't be
regenerated if they accidentally become deleted.  Using the gnx, they can
be retrieved if needed (it's almost trivial to write a command for that).

My own plan for this kind of thing is to take the text that I want to split
up into zettels and go through it a section at a time.  For each section,
make a new zettel in Leo.  Then start to link them in Leo.  Remember, with
the Ctrl+F6 hot key, Leo will automatically insert a back link for you.
The way these links work, you place the cursor on the line that starts with
:link:,  and hit the hot key.  Leo will jump to that node and insert the
backlink if there isn't one.  You can keep expanding the set of zettels as
you work through your original text.  Any other kind of meta data that you
want to put in, you can add either in the original text or in the zettel
once it has been populated.  I urge you to mark each bit of meta data just
like :id: and :link: - with colons front and back (and a piece of metadata
would have to be on a single line).

I've attached a screenshot of an example.  It shows the Leo view of a
zettel and also the Restructured Text rendering.  The URL is clickable in
both the Leo and the rendered panes.

BTW, you may notice that on the id line, after the actual identifier there
is a string.  The string is optional, but when the hot key command creates
a backlink, it looks for that string and adds it to the backlink.  If there
is none, it adds the node's headline.  That way, you have some idea of what
that backlink points to, and you get that for no effort on your part.