On Monday, March 23, 2020 at 9:11:04 AM UTC-4, Edward K. Ream wrote:

> I have been working on this post for about a week. The way forward has
> just become clear:
>
> The work in 2019 will be the foundation for this year's work.
>
> The work in 2020 will focus on bridges between programs.
>

> 2. A few days ago I discovered Bokeh <https://bokeh.org/>. This was an
> important discovery:
>
> - Bokeh's graphics libraries offer d3 <https://d3js.org/> capabilities in
> python.
>
> The VR (and VR3?) plugins should be able to support Bokeh fairly easily.

VR3 already does in this in a sense - you can run a node with a Bokeh
program and output a plot that will render in the system browser.   If you
want to embed the graph into a Leo node, a la Jupyter notebooks, that will
take some thought to work out.  I have been mulling this over for a while,
but not very seriously as yet.

There's also Holoviews, which can use Matplotlib or Bokeh back ends.  It
might turn out to be the best way to go, though I don't know anything much
about how they accomplish their magic:

http://holoviews.org

Holoviews can already work with Jupyter.  VR3 can execute Holoviews
programs that are asked to show the graphic output in a browser.