On Wednesday, March 25, 2020 at 10:32:23 AM UTC-4, Edward K. Ream wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 9:29 AM Thomas Passin <tbp1...@gmail.com
> <javascript:>> wrote:
>
> > This is one of those "I dunno, it works on my machine" things. I do not
> recall installing anything besides matplotlib - i mean, I just installed HV
> itself, and not any extension.  I'll set up a virtual environment and see
> what happens.
>
> Thanks. This is all expected growing pains.

OK, I set up a virtual environment, and installed packages in this order:

matplotlib
bokeh
leo
holoviews

The program worked as expected.  But I see that the code I posted above was
missing one line.  It didn't affect you, based on your error message.  Here
is the program as it worked for me a few minutes ago:

@language python
# Following https://github.com/pyviz/holoviews/issues/1819 for how to plot
# without using ipython/Jupyter

import holoviews as hv
import holoviews.util
#hv.extension('bokeh')
hv.extension('matplotlib')

#from bokeh.io import save
#from bokeh.io import show

xs = range(-10,11)
ys = [100-el**2 for el in xs]

curve = hv.Curve((xs, ys))

#renderer = hv.renderer('bokeh')
renderer = hv.renderer('matplotlib')

plot = renderer.get_plot(curve).state
#show(plot)

hv.save(curve, 'curve.png')

@language rest
Here is the resulting graph:

.. image:: curve.png

*NOTE* that there is a package named "hv" and this is *NOT* the same as the
one we want here, which is "holoviews".