I'm always in favor of good separation of interests.  It can be hard to
achieve in practice, and it's always helpful to be diligent about keeping
one's eye on the ball.  What I'm reading here sounds pretty interesting.

About clones, we always talk about cloning nodes, but it seems to me that
what actually gets cloned is an entire subtree - that is, the clone
includes (clones of) a node's descendants.  Perhaps a change in the
conceptual model of clones from nodes to subtrees would make it easier to
work out how to handle them.

I'm not sure how a subtree is currently modeled in Leo.  Since a tree can
be built out of nodes that have child and parent nodes,  one can be
constructed without an explicit model for a (sub)tree.  But since many
operations we want to do are really on (sub)trees and not nodes, maybe an
explicit tree concept in addition to a node concept would be useful(if
there isn't one already).