On Sun, May 3, 2020 at 11:23 PM Thomas Passin <tbp100...@gmail.com> wrote:

About clones, we always talk about cloning nodes, but it seems to me that
> what actually gets cloned is an entire subtree

Correct.

> I'm not sure how a subtree is currently modeled in Leo.

This has a long history.  The result of this history is that the tree
contains nothing but pointers (references) to vnodes. This is the so-called
"unified node" world. In this world, clones are simply additional
references to a vnodes. That is, vnodes may have multiple parent vnodes,
provided that there are no "cycles" (loops) in the resulting graph.

> Since a tree can be built out of nodes that have child and parent nodes,
> one can be constructed without an explicit model for a (sub)tree.  But
> since many operations we want to do are really on (sub)trees and not nodes,
> maybe an explicit tree concept in addition to a node concept would be
> useful(if there isn't one already).

It's very unlikely that Leo's vnode structure will ever change.