On Friday, March 1, 2024 at 5:33:34 AM UTC-5 Edward K. Ream wrote:

My question wasn't clear. I meant to ask whether potential errors
concerning the missing xcb-cursor0 or libxcb-cursor0 libraries are a show
stopper.

Imo, most linux users will know to run sudo apt install, so the missing
library isn't a significant barrier to requiring PyQt6. A new FAQ entry
might be all that is needed. Do you agree?

A year ago I might have said it was a show-stopper.  But now the error
message from Ubuntu was clear enough that running its suggested command
fixed the issue.  In years past I had to go to the internet and wade
through a lot of useless posts to find the right command (I've saved it in
my workbook to make it easier to find).  I do know that some non-technical
people will read the error message and yet not know what to do, so I agree
with a FAQ entry.

BTW, Ubuntu/XUbuntu is the only distro where I've encountered this issue so
far.