I actually implemented something similar in a private 'leoapp' (app that
lives in a .leo file) I wrote for myself a few years back.  Pretty simple
to get done, IIRC.

My general pattern was to have a controller class that contained two 'view'
widgets (a QTextBrowser for rendered HTML, and a QTextEdit for editing).
The controller class had a wrapper widget that also had an 'edit' toggle
button.  When 'edit' is clicked, a callback is fired off to remove the
active view widget and replace it with the new one (and set some state in
the controller so it doesn't lose track of things).  Content is updated
between the two widgets whenever this swap happens.  Internally they are
two completely different objects, but to the user, the swap is fairly
seamless.

I did write this app relying on PyQt5, unfortunately, so I have a fair bit
of updating to do if I want it to work on modern Leo.  Ah well.

Jake