On Thursday, April 25, 2024 at 6:57:17 AM UTC-5 Thomas wrote:

Hmm, instead of rendering those nodes in a separate frame as VR/VR3 does,
we could overlay the rendering frame over the editing frame. We could
switch in and out of rendering mode to allow editing.  I bet that wouldn't
be too hard.

Thomas, you may have solved a problem that has bedeviled me for ages! Here
are my first thoughts:

I've never liked the VR pane. It seems like a significant waste of real
estate.

Edit modes are confusing, but *visual modes* will work! Here are some
preliminary thoughts:

*Rendering modes*

Both headlines and body text will specify a *default rendering mode* for
*each *node:

- Headlines like @movie and @html (and all the others that VR and VR3
support) would set the default rending mode to some graphics mode.

- Otherwise, @language directives will specify the preferred rendering
mode, usually *text mode*. However, @language rst would specify *rst mode*.

- A possibility: *@rst-tree* in the headline would specify that the
rendered contents would consist of the node's body and the bodies of all
descendant nodes.

*Switching modes*

The *toggle-rendering-mode* command will toggle between the *default *and
*alternate *rendering modes. Text mode will always be one of those modes.

Users are unlikely to become confused about which mode is in effect because
graphics look very different from text. If confusion does arise, *graphics
icons* could mark graphics-capable nodes.

*Summary*

Rendering body text as either text or graphics seems like a natural idea.
Why didn't I ever think of this before? And how did we ever live without it?

The *toggle-rendering-mode* command will toggle between graphics and text
views.
Users are unlikely to become confused about what body panes contain.

Rendering either text or graphics in the body pane:
- Significantly increases Leo's effective real estate.
- Promises to give Leo the visual capabilities of the most sophisticated
outliners.

Today is a milestone in Leo's history. And there is further room for
invention!