Nathan Coulson wrote:

Matt(?) was having some problems with it, because some things in /proc
did not exist when that was called.

Yep, here's my '/etc/sysctl.conf':

net.ipv4.tcp_window_scaling = 0
dev.rtc.max-user-freq = 1024
kernel.shmmax = 2147483648
kernel.sem = 250 32000 100 128
fs.file-max = 65536
net.ipv4.ip_local_port_range = 1024 65000

The first entry is for broken routers, I believe (lwn.net had an article that I grabbed this setting from). The second entry is to silence a warning I was getting from MPlayer. The rest of the entries are for Oracle. I think that the top two were failing because the relevant /proc entries hadn't been created; the devices/interfaces hadn't been brought up by the time the sysctl bootscript was run, hence I had to move it further on in the boot process.

Regards,

Matt.