Matthew Burgess wrote:
Additionally, of course, cross-lfs is to be seriously considered at this point. I've not looked at Jim, Ryan,

Opinions seem divided on this one. Should cross-lfs become part of the mainstream book? In other words, will every LFS'er be building according to the cross-lfs (toolchain) methodology even if they don't require it? It seems a bit too much.

It brings on more complexity into the build of a more straight-forward system like the majority of us do the majority of the time.

Seeing the target audience of cross-lfs, keeping it as an option rather than the one-and-only-way may be a better way to go about providing it.

Having said all that, I'm not saying cross-lfs can't become part of LFS-7 in some way. How feasible would it be to provide both the current installation method as well as all of cross-lfs in one book? Some chapter re-organization may be in order to make it all look good and not all chapters would be used anymore. Chapter X is our default build method -- what we have today. If that's not good enough, the reader can be told to skip to chapter Y, pick a cross-lfs build system and take it from there. Then we all arrive in chapter Z to finish up LFS when all the platform specific tasks are dealt with.

Clutter will be a concern. The TOC has to be clean and easy to navigate. Like I said above, a chapter re-organization may be required to maintain a logically flowing TOC where you don't get lost.

This way I believe we'll have the best of both world.

--
Gerard Beekmans