On Tue, 22 Nov 2005, Matthew Burgess wrote:

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:

1) Are those specific headers for that version necessary? Wouldn't the current ones work?

Well, they work for me (I've been running 2.6.14 for a while now). However, I'd imagine that if the kernel gets a new feature (e.g. iNotify) but we don't install the userspace headers for it then any userspace utilities will be unable to take advantage of that feature.

Seems a plausible problem, we can address it when somebody gets bitten by it. Meanwhile, 2.6.14 works fine for me too (except for .config issues on one of my non-modular builds) and I'll be desperate to move to a newer udev (for the powerpc arch changes in 2.6.15-rc) once I've got a usable build on my latest box.

I don't profess to understand most of the kernel vulnerabilities, but aren't kernels < 2.6.14 all officially vulnerable to something or other ?

Ken