Armin K. wrote:
> No matter what you say, if a package A installs a file X.Y that requires
> file Z.Y and package A doesn't either:
>
> a) pull automatically the package (depend on) that contains file Z.Y
> b)ships that file itself
>
> the packaging is broken.

Then BLFS's and LFS's "packaging" are broken, because neither of them does
dependencies.  (And nothing pulls them automatically.)  In LFS there's an
order of installation that hopefully covers everything, and we try to either
fix up builds (via configure flags or whatever) or provide new deps as they're
discovered, but that's not always perfect.  In BLFS there's the list of
dependent packages (and it even does optional / required, which is great!),
but it doesn't do anything automatic.

My understanding of Slackware (which is rather limited) is that its packaging
has no automatic dependencies either.  Yes, this makes it possible to have a
system that doesn't work right.  But no, I don't think that's an excuse to say
that it's "broken".  An individual system, maybe, but not "the packaging".

> Again, it's irrelevant if mpfr uses host mpfr or not since the target
> library is static library and it won't pull host dependencies at all.

Um, no, actually.  These are .la files, not .a files.  There are no static
libs in sight.

> You couldn't install a package that contains libmpfr.so and libmpfr.la (the
> -dev package) on Debian without it pulling package that contains libgmp.so
> and libgmp.la.

And in Slackware, there is no such thing as a "pulling" of other packages;
just like in BLFS.

In this particular case, if I understand everything I've read correctly, I
think that either (a) a warning but not an error if any of the three libtool
files are present, or (b) a fix to the gcc build or build system to not use
them from the host at all, would be right.  But (b) is rather harder, and not
likely to happen during an -rc anyway.

I wonder if we can make libtool work right.  Looking at gcc's ltmain.sh, line
5309 is where the host paths are getting in there for libtool --mode=link -o
foo.la, and line 5311 is where the host paths are getting in there for libtool
--mode=link -o foo (i.e. a program).  But it's not entirely clear where all
the directory searches are coming from...

Maybe adding a --debug to the libtool invocation that fails would help figure
out why it's pulling .la files from the host, as opposed to from the build
tree where they're supposed to be pulled from?  If anyone has a system that's
in this unbuildable state, that --debug info might help.  I'd recommend
running the make that fails, then taking just the last command and adding
--debug to it, and saving the output somewhere (it turns on "set -x", so there
will be a ton of it).