On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 08:25:15AM +1100, scsijon wrote:
> I've been going through a number of 'linux's' lately looking for a
> particular problem and it's fix (yeah, I know there are plenty out there). I
> am starting to notice a fair few of the smaller 'workstation only' ones that
> were systemd have / are / considering changing to Gentoo's OpenRC. I was
> wondering on the lfs thoughts in general of creating at least a test build,
> and how much work it would be to create.
>
> thanks
>
> scsijon

For your system, do whatever you wish.  If it works better, you can
tell _us_ the benefits and what needs to change ;)

Seriously, the claimed benefits of systemd seem to boil down to:

· doesn't need shell scripts to start things
· can start things in parallel
· a package might be able to include a unit which works on most
  distros
· (possibly, dependency based - a feature of OpenRC, I suspect
  systemd claims this although past problem-reports for nfs have
  suggested poor implementation)

Of those, only starting in parallel looks relevant to LFS - but
dependency-based would be a good idea for a BLFS system running many
complex services.

For _most_ LFS/BLFS sysv systems, yes, there *is* a delay from
running the scripts in sequence - ntpd is probably one of the worst
"offenders", maybe followed by nfs.  But we are talking perhaps 5 or
10 seconds on a boot (nothing on resume from either suspend or
hibernation).

I am led to believe that distro initscripts often took a lot longer.

Certainly, OpenRC is dependency based.  The Arch wiki has some
details at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/OpenRC

ĸen
--
Truth, in front of her huge walk-in wardrobe, selected black leather
boots with stiletto heels for such a barefaced truth.