On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 11:40:19AM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> On 03/12/2018 10:57 AM, Ken Moffat wrote:
> > TL;DR - I think 'let skip_defaults_vim=1' should come BEFORE
> > 'source $VIMRUNTIME/defaults.vim' in /etc/vimrc.
[...]
> > So, I tried changing my own /etc/vimrc to start:
> > " Begin /etc/vimrc
> > let skip_defaults_vim=1
> > source $VIMRUNTIME/defaults.vim
> >
> > set nocompatible
> > (etc)
> >
> > And that now seems to have restored the old behaviour, both when
> > editing that command explanation, and when making my own local git
> > commits.
>
> Hmm.  What I interpret from your experience is that "defaults_vim" are
> different from $VIMRUNTIME/defaults.vim.

The skip variable says that defaults.vim can be skipped (if it is
set), I am suggesting that it has to be set before sourcing
defaults.vim, setting it after is too late.

> What is your experience if you have both /etc/vimrc and ~/.vimrc, and
> comment out both the source $VIMRUNTIME/defaults.vim line and the
> skip_defaults_vim line?

Dunno.  I might try that later.

> What I had in mind with the current setup is that the upstream default
> settings would be invoked and then the user could override them if desired.

My experience is that the override does not work when the set comes
after the defaults have already been loaded in /etc/vimrc.

ĸen
--
Truth, in front of her huge walk-in wardrobe, selected black leather
boots with stiletto heels for such a barefaced truth.