On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 05:19:45PM +0000, Ken Moffat wrote:
> > What is your experience if you have both /etc/vimrc and ~/.vimrc, and
> > comment out both the source $VIMRUNTIME/defaults.vim line and the
> > skip_defaults_vim line?
> >
> Dunno.  I might try that later.
I've tried it now on a different machine, that is fine and if, for
example, I add a <!-- FIXME --> comment into some xml, the FIXME
is highlighted as I expect.

In either case, it no longer returns to the last-edited position -
so not everyone will like it.

Another reply to your later post will follow.

Truth, in front of her huge walk-in wardrobe, selected black leather
boots with stiletto heels for such a barefaced truth.
                                     - Unseen Academicals