Hi,

On Mon, 12 Mar 2018, Ken Moffat wrote:

I don't claim to understand the details, but when I searched a few
hours ago there were various posts about changed behaviour (not
particularly recent).
I do not claim to understand the details either, but at least I can confirm such behavior change. And maybe I can provide a test case. I was happy with my vim configuration on several machines (Debian, Ubuntu, LFS) for years, but some update a couple of months ago started to drive me nuts every now and then - mouse support was broken for me: Marking stuff on a console in putty (Windows ssh client) used to end up in the clipboard automatically, and it still does - unless using vim. I even switched to using nano temporarily just to make that work again.

Reason was a "mouse=a" in some default pulled in "recently". Documentation suggests this is something everybody would want to make a mouse work, but I certainly do not, because it makes vim "capture" the mouse internally which breaks my usage of it.

Anyway, the problem is not that "mouse=a" was there, but how to disable it again. There is "mouse=" in the book which did not seem to help. "mouse-=a" suggested somewhere did not either. I ended up commenting out every occurence of that setting in any vim file on the respective system to get rid of that. This is not an *LFS issue but a vim configuration issue on multiple distributions.

I'd prefer to understand the correct (current) order of (overriding) vim configuration, though...

Uwe