S. Anthony Sequeira wrote:

On Fri, 2005-03-18 at 14:32 -0600, Dan McGhee wrote:

<ln -s $LFS/tools  />

is given. I understand the syntax--and I even read the FAQ <BG>. My question is in the location of the link. I don't want my distro to think that everything is mounted in $LFS/tools.

The book is usually right. Assuming that LFS=/mnt/lfs the ln command above will create the following soft link

/tools -> /mnt/lfs/tools

So (in general) any reference to /tools will be in fact a reference
to /mnt/lfs/tools.

Yes, I understand this, and I'm sure you've answered my question. However, I'm probably being really obtuse and can't see the forest for the trees.

Let's say for sake of argument I've started in my home directory. Now let me ask if this sequence of code is correct to get to putting the symlink in the right place.

# su
# echo $LFS
 /mnt/lfs
# mkdir $LFS/tools
# cd $LFS/tools
# ln -s $LFS/tools /

I can't believe that so many have done this, and I'm stuck.

Thanks again.

Dan