On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 01:13:52PM -0800, Janesh Ramakrishnan wrote:

> We've tried producing sound on two different AT91SAM9261-EK development
> boards without success.
 Never believe a 'development' board is fully working until somebody
has been able to demonstrate it :-(  Seriously, I've no knowledge of
these boards and they may be fine, but I've been bitten one time too
many by a development board released to end-users.
> We've confirmed that the micro is sending commands (over SPI) and data (over
> I2S).
>
> alsamixer was run, and the sound unmuted for PCM, with volume controls set
> using the down and upper arrows on the keyboard. But running aplay doesn't
> result in sound being produced. Versions of Alsa-Utils, Alsa-lib and
> alsa-driver: 1.0.13.
>
> Any ideas on what could be going wrong ?

 About half of the problems with sound are down to "the silly
things" (something critical muted or turned down, plug in the
wrong socket, amp/speakers not set up correctly, or even the
sound chip not enabled in the bios).

ĸen