Matthew Burgess wrote:
> Here's the difference in
> output I get between muted and unmuted output:
>
> $ amixer set PCM mute
> Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
>   Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined
>   Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
>   Limits: Playback 0 - 31
>   Mono:
>   Front Left: Playback 28 [90%] [off]
>   Front Right: Playback 28 [90%] [off]
>
> $ amixer set PCM unmute
> Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
>   Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined
>   Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
>   Limits: Playback 0 - 31
>   Mono:
>   Front Left: Playback 28 [90%] [on]
>   Front Right: Playback 28 [90%] [on]
>
> I'm not quite sure why you're not getting the '[on]' or '[off]'
> indicators in your amixer output.  I'm beginning to suspect a driver
> problem, considering that only one device is being listed.  I
> couldn't immediately determine what sound chip is on the board by
> looking at the device list at
> http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/devices.asp?family_id=605#1739.
>
> Matt.

> What about `amixer set PCM unmute 80%'?

-bash-3.1# amixer set PCM unmute 80%
Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
  Capabilities: pvolume
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 25 [81%]
  Front Right: Playback 25 [81%]

Very odd. Same thing, the '[on]' or '[off]' indicators do not show up on
running 'amixer set PCM unmute 80%'. The sound chip on the board is AT73C213
(www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/doc2708.pdf). The probability of it
being a device driver issue is less, since the same device driver was
demonstrated to work on another AT91SAM9261-EK board.

Trying to cover all bases on the software front.

thanks.
Janesh