On 12/03/2009 04:32 AM, stosss wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 4:26 AM, Chris Staub<ch...@beaker67.com>  wrote:
>> On 12/03/2009 04:15 AM, stosss wrote:
>>
>> If /usr/bin/gcc does not exist, then clearly GCC was not installed, most
>> likely because you missed "make install" in Chapter 6 GCC or somehow
>> skipped the whole page. Of course there are other possible causes
>> (especially if you are somehow deviating from the book), but at this
>> point there's really no way to tell...
>
> Okay? Lets say you are right that I missed installing GCC. I will go
> with that, but now I have a question. Did everything get built using
> GCC on the host? If it did then this entire LFS build is toast. That
> would mean without the host it won't work. Right?

If you need to ask that, you are *really* not paying attention to the
book. If you are in chroot, you cannot possibly be using GCC (or
anything else, other than the kernel of course) from the host - you are
using what's in /tools (assuming of course you didn't do something dumb
like cp programs from the host into $LFS). So you've been building
everything with GCC in /tools, which should probably work (as the specs
file was adjusted so everything else should hopefully be linked
correctly) so you *might* be able to simply add /tools/bin back to the
$PATH and redo Chapter 6 GCC. Of course, that's assuming GCC is the only
thing missing...if it were me I'd just start from the beginning (if GCC
is missing, what else might be?)