stosss wrote:
> Okay. I am starting over

I've been doing professional software development, including
high reliability and availability stuff (telecommmunications
equipment) since 1982. I had to restart my first build, too.

Moral: Don't feel badly about it. It's a lengthy process which
is easy to screw up.

One of the easiest to screw up (and which bit me) was the necessity
to leave and re enter the chroot environment. If you don't get it
just right going back in, then you wind up with a hosed system.

If you need to start over again, be SURE that you have unmounted
everything from the chroot, and don't delete anything until after
you have exited the chroot. I recommend a reboot. You can kill
/dev in your host environment if it is still mounted in the chroot,
even if you have exited the chroot, without an unmount. If you
do this, then your host may be hosed as well.

So, if you decide to start over and delete everything so you can
go "from scratch" I recommend unmounting, exiting the chroot, and
rebooting for good measure.

Of course, if you use a VM or a LiveCD as your host, then you
are ok.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.