2009/12/3 stosss <sto...@gmail.com>:
> I started over from scratch. I have captured log files of everything.
> I ran tests on everything and captured all those tests. Everything was
> going along nicely.

Apart from what others have said, I find it useful to log what got installed.
I think the book sketches this out, but basically:

touch a known filename before you begin the install

run the install command(s)

run something like

find / -xdev -xtype f -newer the-known-filename \
| grep -v /proc | grep -v /var/log | grep -v /sys \
| sort >your-install-log

This doesn't catch everything - sometimes headers or docs are
older than the file used for testing - but it's usually good enough to
check that *something* got installed, or to later check which package
installed a file. You might want to exclude other directories too.

NB - if you ever need to uninstall a package after an error in your
script, treat this list of files with extreme caution (e.g it contains
directory names that had already been created but were updated
during the install).

HTH

ĸen
--