Ken Moffat wrote:
> The slightly longer-winded version is to build several versions of
> gcc and binutils, using each to build a newer version.  As always,
> the version of binutils needs to be suitable for the version of gcc
> but these things are never documented.  Looking back to my old
> notes, I guess the following versions might be worth exploring
> e.g. first one in /opt/tools1, second in /opt/tools2 - during
> toolchain builds set PATH to /opt/tools3:/opt/tools2:/opt/tools1:
> and then the normal PATH after that.
>
> binutils-2.14 and gcc-3.3.5 (based loosely on 5.1)
>
> binutils-2.16.1 and gcc-4.0.2
>
> binutils-2.17 and gcc-4.1.2 - I would very much hope that is recent
> enough to build a current system (and particularly a current kernel).

Thanks Ken that got the 2.6.30.9 kernel compiled. But I can't seem to
boot it. It complains about not having an NFS mount then asks for a root
floppy. If I hit a key, the kernel panics. I haven't figured out how to
capture the output.

 I've googled around and am not finding anything. I've checked my Grub
settings and they seem fine. I've double-checked the kernel config and
it includes support for reiserfs, which is what the LFS 5 is on.

Any ideas on what to do next?

Thanks in Advance,
Mykal Funk