On Fri, 2011-07-29 at 10:29 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
> However, the one being _built_ is the one needing the hooks, not
> the one running. As long as one has full source for everything
> being built, and isn't relying upon the include files for the
> one being run, it shouldn't matter.

I'm guessing it has to do with building glibc against headers for a new
kernel, but not actually running that kernel. And more specifically,
what happens when software tries to use features which glibc claims to
support, but the running kernel doesn't.

Note how in the glibc build, we pass --enable-kernel=2.6.22.5, which
configures it with the assumption that it will never need to run on an
older kernel than 2.6.22.5 (which is of course the minimum version
listed in Host System Requirements).

Simon.