On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 3:28 PM, Anand Arumugam <anand.aru...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 7:02 PM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.du...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Qrux wrote:
> >
> >> If LFS is just a source code project, then to some extent you can say
> that
> >> prose style or organization is irrelevant.  It's not, because it's often
> >> repeated that it's a book, as well.  So, style is important, because
> >> organization can aid understanding.
> >
> > The descriptions and the organization is important, but it satisfies
> most users.
> > We probably go through this discussion two are three time a year.  Each
> time
> > it's a single user that doesn't quite get it (you got it without
> problem).
> > Since we have over 23000 registered users, I'd say that the vast
> majority get
> > value from the book as it is.  I'm not willing to make major changes for
> a vocal
> > few.  We will have to agree to disagree and move on.
> >

> Just because not many emails or voices out their opinion(s) like @Qrux
> has done, doesn't mean that they get it. They may not be able to put
> forth their thoughts like @Qrux has done.
>
> LFS is a fantastic resource, but like @Qrux is saying, there is room
> for improvement to make it even better.
>
> If some information on how to contribute in terms of improving the
> content or presentation style in the "How to contribute"
> (http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/contribute.html) page will be
> helpful and I would like to pitch in whatever ways I can.
>
> cheers...
> --

Before deciding how to change the book, shouldn't contributors  be clear
about (a) the purpose and (b) the audience of the book?

It seems to me that there is a mismatch here: people have different views
about the audience and purpose, so differ in their perceptions of the book.

In my perception the book currently assumes that the audience is people
with some (considerable) understanding of the command-line, and OS concepts
in general (for example the fact that 'source directory' might have
different meanings depending on context). If that is to remain the
audience, there needs to be a method for coping with people outside the
audience who happen to wander in - just as my local bar has a procedure for
dealing with under-age people who wander in.

And the purpose of the book (again, my perception) is educational, so the
explanations about the tool-chain modifications and how cross-compilation
works are not extras, but an integral part of the book.  The aim is to
learn, not just to get to the end.

What that coping procedure should be is a second debate.

Slainte
Gordon