Am Mittwoch, den 10.01.2018, 17:10 +0000 schrieb Ken Moffat:

> > > Looking at my lkml mailbox, patch 02 of 37 for this version added
> >
> > I haven't been able to GET to LKML for 3 days now.  It keeps
> > timing-out.
> >

> I had the same last night (on the main mirror), but I think there
> used to be more than one mirror site.  Haven't tried since, and it
> is irrelevant to this problem. ...
>
> > > Sorry.  I'm afraid 32-bit x86 gets much less love these days.
> >
> > Please, if anyone runs across the 32-bit patch, let me know.  There
> > certainly are many 32-bit system still in service!
> >

> I asked on lwn, so far the consensus is that a lot of 32-bit x86 is
> embedded and never gets updated anyway.  Distros are gradually
> dropping i686, AFAICS nobody has offered a potential fix - but there
> is a PoC exploit at github which can apparently run on i686.
>
> And for Meltdown, although AMD x86_64 is not affected, nobody has
> offered a view on whether or not AMD i686 is affected.
>
> There were some comments on the FreeBSD Questions list (for the
> moment they do not have a fix even for x86_64) that they would hope
> to fix i686 after x86_64 is fixed.  But using FreeBSD, for someone
> who understands linux, looks to be very painful.  Another poster
> said he *thought* the problem started with the Westmere generation.

Gentoo writes: "... Currently, the KPTI patch-set is only available for
64-bit Gentoo operating systems. Some 32-bit operating systems (for
example if you are using 4gb/4gb memory split) are immune because they
use separate memory maps for kernel and userspace.  ..."

Unfortunatly not specified what "Some 32-bit operating systems" are.

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Security/Vulnerabilities/Meltdown_
and_Spectre

--
Thomas