On 07/06/2018 05:32 AM, Michael Shell wrote:
On Thu, 5 Jul 2018 21:48:16 +0200
Frans de Boer <fr...@fransdb.nl> wrote:

I had even rebuild everything with systemd-232, and that worked as
before. But after 232, things started to behave strange. Now way to
debug systemd, whatever I do....

    Frans,

That's the whole point of being able to start the system with a shell
- so that systemd's startup, or failure thereof, can then be debugged
manually. What happened when you booted to shell and then tried to
start systemd manually?

init=/bin/bash
mount -o remount,rw /

Then, at the bash prompt, you want to try to start systemd manually.
You'll also want to first make sure you get a core file if/when it
crashes:

echo "core" > /proc/sys/kernel/core_pattern
ulimit -c unlimited

/usr/lib/systemd/systemd

With the above, does systemd crash and yield a core file?

Does

dmesg

show any relevant error messages?

If you get a core file, you can run gdb on systemd using the core
file:

gdb -c core /usr/lib/systemd/systemd

then what does the gdb backtrace reveal:

(gdb) bt

You can also try gdb on systemd without the core:

gdb /usr/lib/systemd/systemd
(gdb) run
(gdb) bt

If I had to bet at this point, my money would go on the theory that
your kernel is lacking support for something systemd (now) needs.
You can find a current list of systemd kernel config requirements
here:

https://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/tree/README

Note also, some kernel features must be *disabled*, e.g.,
CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED=n

Also, "systemd requires that the /run mount point exists.
        systemd also requires that /var/run is a symlink to
        /run "

    Cheers,

    Mike

Hi Mike,
I will follow your suggestions, of which few are new to me, and will come back with a report.

--- Frans