On Fri, 29 Jun 2018 01:25:29 -0400
Michael Shell <li...@michaelshell.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Jun 2018 16:06:00 +0800
> Xi Ruoyao <r...@stu.xidian.edu.cn> wrote:
>
> > Now I only use "initrd" directive to update CPU microcode and fix the
> > buggy ACPI DSDT of my laptop (another sad story).
>

>   Xi,
>
> If you are also inclined to allow firmware to be contained within the
> kernel, the microcode part you can achieve via the
>
> CONFIG_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL=y
> CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE="amd-ucode/microcode_amd_fam15h.bin"
> CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE_DIR="/lib/firmware"
>
> kernel config options under Device Drivers > Generic Driver Options.
> CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE points to microcode file within the given
> CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE_DIR= path. Though you'll have to rebuild the
> kernel though if the microcode file ever changes, of course.
>
> And as there now seems to be several people who suffer with the
> ACPI DSDT driver bug, you guys should make sure upstream is aware
> of the problem, if they aren't already.
>
> There is also a recent kernel option, acpi=copy_dsdt that attempts to
> fix bad DSDT tables. It might be worth a try if you haven't done tried
> it already.
>
>   Cheers,
>
>   Mike
>
> --
Just to say that I've now tried the "acpi=copy_dsdt" boot option (without using
my corrective initrd) and it doesn't stop the 4.15 kernel from panicking on my
main machine. But thanks anyway.

Funnily enough, my Samsung laptop (which is another old banger) boots 4.15 with
full acpi and without any problems at all.

--
Hazel