Am 28.10.2018 um 22:49 schrieb Ken Moffat:
Thanks for coming back.  I did not think that anything would be
linked to libelf, so can you be more-specific about what you had
moved, please, so we can save the information for the next time ?
Hi Ken,

the story is a little complicated. I finished my LFS-8.3  with some dificulties building Linux-4.18.5. ( make menuconfig did'nt start at all ) So I decided to take the lfskernel and System.map from my LFS-8.1 (linux-4.12.7 ) to start booting anyway my new LFS-8.3. To my surprise, the system did not boot at all, with very strange messages concerning the partition "/dev/sdb4" (  xfs ) like partition corrupted or cannot find the partition etc. At this point I decided to mount my LFS-8.1 system on this partition, and LFS-8.1 booted without problems. So, I  started copying the directories from the new LFS-8.3 to the old LFS-8.1 and booting in between. During this procedure I had not yet copied the libelf files ( libelf-0.173.s0, libelf.a, libelf.so and libelf.so.1 ) to /usr/lib, with the mentioned results.

BTW, my LFS-8.3, constructed in this very unusual way, is now working as expected !

I hope this information can be usefull !

Kind regards,
Edgar