The error goes like this:

root@LFSDebian:~# su - lfs

[3]+  Stopped                 su - lfs

At this point, you can type "fg" and the <enter> key. It's incredible that debian have this bug in a stable version!

Excellent, the `[3]+ Stopped` notation reminded me of something but I just never use `Ctrl+z/fg`

So yes, I can just fg, and I get back to the proper login session.
So it's just that the bash session get pushed to the background. So it's actually even weirder.

But I could reproduce it...

Then type env. On my machine, I get:
PWD=/home/lfs
HOME=/home/lfs
TERM=xterm-256color
SHLVL=1
PS1=${debian_chroot:+($debian_chroot)}\u@\h:\w\$
LFS_TGT=x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu
LC_ALL=POSIX
LFS=/mnt/lfs
CONFIG_SITE=/mnt/lfs/usr/share/config.site
PATH=/mnt/lfs/tools/bin:/usr/bin
_=/usr/bin/env

If everything is ok, I suggest you start over at binutils-pass1 (delete everything in /mnt/lfs/tools)
I did that and started compilation with `su lfs` then sourcing `.bash_profile`

Is http://linuxfromscratch.org quite slow or is it just me? I have a lot of timeouts getting pages, started at when I encountered the bug, roughly.